My second type exercise!
Practicing makes it all much better, but not yet perfect.
As a brainstorming group assignment we had to create a design which was supposed to include certain words like motion, conversation, backward, ideas, shrink, and an image. Finding it a little bit to difficult to draw footsteps in order to create motion and filling them with words, I started a new type ad with the same idea in my mind.
So, I have thought a lot about what to write and finally it came to me: films. Every single film from 2010 I loved is written in the image above. I should have worked a bit more on the colors, but this will be another attempt of breaking the tutorial. For now, I chose to follow it step by step and after the result, a short critical evaluation will make me understand what should I change to make it mine. Another thing I am going to change when repeating this tutorial will be the words and their position.
As resources, I used:
- a very simple tutorial: type wallpaper;
- brushes and textures from the author of the tutorial;
- fonts with different sizes (very easy to read ones, no handwritting, no italics): agency FB, bebas, consolas, broadway, tw cen mt condensed, terminal, stencil std, goudy stout, arial. (as you already know, you can find inspiration here: 1001 free fonts)
A couple of days ago I had an assignment, a CD cover, which, in my disappointment, failed to make me happy because I forgot the main thing: the size.
So I said to myself to try again and keep it simple. I used a photo from my personal stock and a font - retro one - from 1001 free fonts. Now, the size has been double checked and the image was set in a way to create a polaroid version of a photo. Then I added a blue gradient fill tool and a filter.
The only “down” I see now at this image is the color of the font. Perhaps I should have tried grey.
The “punktastic” image will be kept as a poster.